Not Logged In Log In   Sign Up   Points Leaders
Follow Us    5:31 AM

Message Forum - Read Message

Category: US politics > Topics Add to favorite topics   Post new topicPost New Topic
Author Topic: If Obama had a son he would be just like him! ROFL!!!! Back to Topics
AFSNCO

Champion Author
Montgomery

Posts:19,838
Points:1,832,435
Joined:Aug 2008
Message Posted: May 24, 2013 10:49:43 AM

Gun, drug texts feature in new Trayvon Martin shooting evidence

"Much of the new evidence disclosed Thursday in filings by Zimmerman's attorneys comes from Martin's cell phone, including photos showing a semiautomatic pistol and ammunition and small marijuana plants growing in pots.

In other pictures, Martin is pictured making obscene gestures in an apparent self-portrait, as well pictures showing him with friends and in other settings.

The text messages include a conversation from November 2011 in which he appears to say his mother has kicked him out of the house after "da police caught me outta skool."

"So you just turning into a lil hoodlum," the person with whom he is texting says.

"Naw, I'm a gangsta," the text message read.

In other messages, text message exchanges appear to be discussing guns."
REPLIES (newest first) Post a Reply
Profile Pic
Weaslespit
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:16,500
Points:545,205
Joined:Sep 2008
Message Posted: Jul 30, 2013 11:21:41 AM

"Weas, I have to also agree with EZ and hand it to you for an honest answer. My hat off to you for being honest."

"you and I don't always agree, but I acknowledge your one of only a couple on these threads that have the ability to take my tough question to answer by the horns and answer honestly, you're truly a pleasure to debate on these boards."

I appreciate the comments guys, especially as, since was mentioned, we don't always see 'eye-to-eye' on things.

"Nowhere, no how was any finding made as to whether Martin and/or Zimmerman did anything stupid, IMHO they both acted poorly without prudence, but from my viewpoint, I can't find a single racist motive in the actions of either of them. For this reason I am still stuck at not understanding the "racism" reactions of some."

I agree with this.
Profile Pic
maddog57
Champion Author Winston-Salem

Posts:153,852
Points:3,272,765
Joined:Oct 2005
Message Posted: Jul 29, 2013 9:54:21 PM

>> For this reason I am still stuck at not understanding the "racism" reactions of some. <<

You are thinking too logically...Martin a black was shot by Zimmerman a non-black...that automatically makes it racially motivated when it comes to people like Jackson and Sharpton. The police investigated the incident and found no reason to charge Zimmerman...enter Jackson and Sharpton who have never been known to look at facts or reason. They go out of their way to make this a racial issue and it got all the way up to the great divider in the White House.
Profile Pic
jdhelm
Champion Author Iowa

Posts:16,080
Points:1,793,640
Joined:Dec 2009
Message Posted: Jul 29, 2013 9:53:02 PM

Weas, I have to also agree with EZ and hand it to you for an honest answer. My hat off to you for being honest.

hooah
Profile Pic
EZExit
Champion Author Phoenix

Posts:16,033
Points:2,314,485
Joined:Aug 2008
Message Posted: Jul 29, 2013 9:48:51 PM

Weasel: <<<"OK, I'll state the obvious. Just looking in a vaccuum after the fight had started, yes, I would have done the same as Zimmerman.">>>

--Finally, a non-conservative's answer to my question,... you and I don't always agree, but I acknowledge your one of only a couple on these threads that have the ability to take my tough question to answer by the horns and answer honestly, you're truly a pleasure to debate on these boards.

My point here has all along to let the jury, whom was the only ones that had the luxury of preponderance of all of the evidence, make the call. They did, and it would appear that they found that Zimmerman legally shot Martin in self defense. Nowhere, no how was any finding made as to whether Martin and/or Zimmerman did anything stupid, IMHO they both acted poorly without prudence, but from my viewpoint, I can't find a single racist motive in the actions of either of them. For this reason I am still stuck at not understanding the "racism" reactions of some.
Profile Pic
AFSNCO
Champion Author Montgomery

Posts:19,838
Points:1,832,435
Joined:Aug 2008
Message Posted: Jul 29, 2013 8:44:55 PM

"All good places to NOT go out by yourself on a 'Neighborhood Watch' - regardless if you're packing or not."

BAHAHA...true! Someone alone there without protection would be just like baiting wolves.
Profile Pic
skydone7
Sophomore Author Kansas City

Posts:100
Points:49,680
Joined:Apr 2011
Message Posted: Jul 29, 2013 8:35:28 PM

Hmm....
Profile Pic
maddog57
Champion Author Winston-Salem

Posts:153,852
Points:3,272,765
Joined:Oct 2005
Message Posted: Jul 29, 2013 8:23:19 PM

>> All good places to NOT go out by yourself on a 'Neighborhood Watch' - regardless if you're packing or not. <<

When I worked in Chicago in the late 70's there were parts of Chicago that even the Chicago PD tried to avoid.
Profile Pic
jeskibuff
Champion Author Tampa

Posts:10,669
Points:2,043,730
Joined:May 2004
Message Posted: Jul 29, 2013 8:21:34 PM

sgm4law said: "You can perform neighborhood watch around here without being armed."

You can also walk the streets of the Gaza Strip wearing a Star of David T-shirt and not be armed. Likely, you'll end up quickly dead. Fortunately, Zimmerman was armed and only had to deal with one violent attacker.
Profile Pic
Weaslespit
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:16,500
Points:545,205
Joined:Sep 2008
Message Posted: Jul 29, 2013 4:05:35 PM

"It's probably also different in the south side of Chicago, East St. Louis, and Detroit, just to name a few..."

All good places to NOT go out by yourself on a 'Neighborhood Watch' - regardless if you're packing or not.
Profile Pic
mudtoe
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:13,837
Points:1,876,865
Joined:May 2008
Message Posted: Jul 29, 2013 3:47:17 PM

sgm: "You can perform neighborhood watch around here without being armed. I guess it's different in the Wild West. "


It's probably also different in the south side of Chicago, East St. Louis, and Detroit, just to name a few....


mudtoe
Profile Pic
maddog57
Champion Author Winston-Salem

Posts:153,852
Points:3,272,765
Joined:Oct 2005
Message Posted: Jul 29, 2013 2:35:14 PM

>> Those not looking to be vigilantes would not have been pursuing Martin to begin with ergo we wouldn't have had the need to pull a gun to defend ourselves from a situation we helped create... <<

Again ducking the question. The situation was created by Martin when he was spotted checking out houses in the neighborhood and then compounded by the fact that Martin went out of his way to attack Zimmerman. Zimmerman never assaulted Martin...Martin had NO REASON to assault Zimmerman.
Profile Pic
sgm4law
Champion Author Maryland

Posts:23,087
Points:2,983,595
Joined:Mar 2006
Message Posted: Jul 29, 2013 2:26:22 PM

<<Naw. Most of them would never touch an "evil" gun, much less carry one on their person. But would they have put themselves in that position in the first place? You know, looking out for their neighbors, trying to curtail crime, etc.>>

You can perform neighborhood watch around here without being armed. I guess it's different in the Wild West.
Profile Pic
Weaslespit
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:16,500
Points:545,205
Joined:Sep 2008
Message Posted: Jul 29, 2013 10:04:02 AM

"--No, this question has never been answered, both of these people made bad choices, but up until Martin was pounding Zimmerman's head into the pavement, nobody was getting hurt, as the situation was going out of control."

OK, I'll state the obvious. Just looking in a vaccuum after the fight had started, yes, I would have done the same as Zimmerman.
Profile Pic
AFSNCO
Champion Author Montgomery

Posts:19,838
Points:1,832,435
Joined:Aug 2008
Message Posted: Jul 29, 2013 10:02:38 AM

"You know, looking out for their neighbors, trying to curtail crime, etc."

Have you ever watched the television show "What Would You Do?" Amazing how many in our country do not do anything anyway...
Profile Pic
EZExit
Champion Author Phoenix

Posts:16,033
Points:2,314,485
Joined:Aug 2008
Message Posted: Jul 29, 2013 10:01:34 AM

Weasel: <<<"This has been answered ad nauseam. Those not looking to be vigilantes would not have been pursuing Martin to begin with ergo we wouldn't have had the need to pull a gun to defend ourselves from a situation we helped create...">>>

--No, this question has never been answered, both of these people made bad choices, but up until Martin was pounding Zimmerman's head into the pavement, nobody was getting hurt, as the situation was going out of control.
Profile Pic
Weaslespit
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:16,500
Points:545,205
Joined:Sep 2008
Message Posted: Jul 29, 2013 9:34:17 AM

"Be honest with yourselves, and ask what you would do in the same situation."

This has been answered ad nauseam. Those not looking to be vigilantes would not have been pursuing Martin to begin with ergo we wouldn't have had the need to pull a gun to defend ourselves from a situation we helped create...
Profile Pic
jeskibuff
Champion Author Tampa

Posts:10,669
Points:2,043,730
Joined:May 2004
Message Posted: Jul 29, 2013 6:58:20 AM

teacher_tim said: "They would have shot Martin, too."

Naw. Most of them would never touch an "evil" gun, much less carry one on their person. But would they have put themselves in that position in the first place? You know, looking out for their neighbors, trying to curtail crime, etc.
Profile Pic
teacher_tim
Champion Author Maryland

Posts:19,359
Points:827,710
Joined:May 2004
Message Posted: Jul 28, 2013 7:07:02 PM

They won't answer that EZExit because it is counter to everything they profess to believe. They would have shot Martin, too.
Profile Pic
noseatbelt
Champion Author Indiana

Posts:8,133
Points:212,590
Joined:Feb 2004
Message Posted: Jul 28, 2013 6:59:13 PM

ezyxit, that is the question that most in the hang zimmerman crowd won't answer.
Profile Pic
101Speedster
Champion Author Ventura

Posts:31,641
Points:2,861,230
Joined:May 2005
Message Posted: Jul 28, 2013 6:06:20 PM

>>Now I ask a question of those who would condemn Zimmerman for shooting Martin in self defense, what would YOU have done in that same situation, if someone was beating your head against a sidewalk, and you had a pistol on you.<<

I think they are saying that you must let Martin kill you by letting him break your head open. If he does that, then you can shoot him.
Profile Pic
EZExit
Champion Author Phoenix

Posts:16,033
Points:2,314,485
Joined:Aug 2008
Message Posted: Jul 28, 2013 6:04:51 PM

Now I ask a question of those who would condemn Zimmerman for shooting Martin in self defense, what would YOU have done in that same situation, if someone was beating your head against a sidewalk, and you had a pistol on you. Should he have just continued taking the pounding hoping that it would eventually stop? Should he have just laid there waiting for the police to arrive? I ask this, as I have been in this position personally, without having the gun on me, and I was beaten to near death (a two week coma).

Be honest with yourselves, and ask what you would do in the same situation.
Profile Pic
jeskibuff
Champion Author Tampa

Posts:10,669
Points:2,043,730
Joined:May 2004
Message Posted: Jul 28, 2013 12:35:52 PM

Doug Giles essentially says "I could've been Trayvon":

"When I was a punk teen and twenty-something, I did drugs, dealt drugs, debased women, burglarized homes and was kicked out of both high school and college for my behavior.
.
.
I shot at people and had guns drawn on me. One summer night back in 1978, my buddies and I were ripping off a boat and were busted red-handed by the home owner who pulled out a pump shotgun, racked a round, but was unable to get off a shot
.
.
If I would have been shot and killed that evening it would have sucked, but would have been a just punishment because my life choices put me in a direct path of destruction.
.
.
If I would have died of an overdose or from a crime that I had committed, I would hope to God that no one would stand over my casket and blame other people, or culture, or lack of education, or my neighborhood, or some other people group because that stuff was all on me. I would hope my life would have become a proverb, a veritable deterrent to aberrant behavior."

Well said, Doug!
Profile Pic
Weaslespit
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:16,500
Points:545,205
Joined:Sep 2008
Message Posted: Jul 26, 2013 1:24:17 PM

"Like I said before...Martin died...Zimmerman will have to live with what happened for the rest of his life"

Very true.
Profile Pic
maddog57
Champion Author Winston-Salem

Posts:153,852
Points:3,272,765
Joined:Oct 2005
Message Posted: Jul 26, 2013 11:25:13 AM

Like I said before...Martin died...Zimmerman will have to live with what happened for the rest of his life.
Profile Pic
AFSNCO
Champion Author Montgomery

Posts:19,838
Points:1,832,435
Joined:Aug 2008
Message Posted: Jul 26, 2013 11:17:27 AM

"now Zimmerman will have to deal with that for the rest of his."

It is not easy to kill someone...even in combat. You relive that moment over and over again in your mind. One of the most telling statements in the trial was from one of the investigating offices about how somber Zimmerman was. He did not want to kill Martin...but that is not how some on the left are portraying it.
Profile Pic
Weaslespit
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:16,500
Points:545,205
Joined:Sep 2008
Message Posted: Jul 26, 2013 11:07:51 AM

"There are a lot of shoulda/coulda/woulda statements that be be said for either person. That is why IMO I do not think that Martin (whom I think is 100% innocent of Murder-2) is 100% not culpable for how the events unfolded that night."

Correction, I meant Zimmerman, not Martin. Thanks for the clarification maddog.
Profile Pic
Weaslespit
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:16,500
Points:545,205
Joined:Sep 2008
Message Posted: Jul 26, 2013 11:05:10 AM

"Unnerved by an unspoken mix of political bias and racial queasiness, the major media have chosen to know as little about Trayvon Martin as they know about Barack Obama."

I'm sorry maddog, but that was all I needed to read to know how slanted the rest would portray the facts. Just as the initial reports were slanted favoring Martin.

If Codeine and Cannabis is all that is needed to label somebdy as a 'druggie' and to portray them in a negative light, there are a LOT of people defending Zimmerman who are hypocrites...
Profile Pic
Weaslespit
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:16,500
Points:545,205
Joined:Sep 2008
Message Posted: Jul 26, 2013 10:57:26 AM

"But if Martin would have called 911 first, things would have ended up very differently."

There are a lot of shoulda/coulda/woulda statements that be be said for either person. That is why IMO I do not think that Martin (whom I think is 100% innocent of Murder-2) is 100% not culpable for how the events unfolded that night. I am not 100% sure that he is even guilty of even manslaughter or reckless homicide given how the laws are written, but I do believe he shares in some responsibility.
Profile Pic
maddog57
Champion Author Winston-Salem

Posts:153,852
Points:3,272,765
Joined:Oct 2005
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 6:25:57 PM

Weaslespit read the timeline...What the Media Choose Not to Know about Trayvon

[Edited by: maddog57 at 7/25/2013 6:26:33 PM EST]
Profile Pic
maddog57
Champion Author Winston-Salem

Posts:153,852
Points:3,272,765
Joined:Oct 2005
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 5:19:48 PM

>> Sure, he "profiled" Martin, but it was because of his actions, not because of the color of his skin. Martin was acting suspiciously. <<

Zimmerman had called 911 at least seven times before this incident about suspicious people...not all were black. The only people making a racial issue about this are the haters/dividers.


>> But if Martin would have called 911 first, things would have ended up very differently. <<

And that's the crux of the issue....Zimmerman never committed an act of aggression against Martin...Martin did against Zimmerman and paid for it with his life...now Zimmerman will have to deal with that for the rest of his.

[Edited by: maddog57 at 7/25/2013 5:21:23 PM EST]
Profile Pic
nstrdnvstr
Champion Author Twin Cities

Posts:40,775
Points:4,586,505
Joined:May 2001
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 4:57:55 PM

Weaslespit, ""So Zimmerman "was following Martin for no reason"? Where did you get THAT from?"

Sorry, I didn't see what crime Martin was committing that caused him to become a 'person of interest'.

"If he was following him for no reason, why did Zimmerman call 911 and report Martin doing what he was doing and tell them that he was watching him? Do stalkers usually call 911 when they are stalking people?"

He was following Martin because he profiled him. Not because he was doing anything wrong."

First of all, one doesn't have to be in the process of committing a crime in order to be "a person of interest".

Sure, he "profiled" Martin, but it was because of his actions, not because of the color of his skin. Martin was acting suspiciously.

For example, if I was walking around the neighborhood, peering in peoples windows, that would be suspicious, but I wouldn't necessarily be breaking any law. If a concerned citizen saw me, should I be "profiled" because of that? Absolutely! I would do the same thing if I saw someone doing that as well! I would also keep an eye on that person until the cops came.
Profile Pic
nstrdnvstr
Champion Author Twin Cities

Posts:40,775
Points:4,586,505
Joined:May 2001
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 4:50:12 PM

Weaslespit, ""I have never known someone that had bad intentions to call 911 first. That just doesn't pass the logic test in any way...."

Agreed. Unfortunately Martin did not know this."

But if Martin would have called 911 first, things would have ended up very differently.
Profile Pic
nstrdnvstr
Champion Author Twin Cities

Posts:40,775
Points:4,586,505
Joined:May 2001
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 4:48:43 PM

Weaslespit, "I disagree. Martin was not out there looking to go after somebody (at least, there is no evidence pointing towards this as a motive). What, then, was Martin's motive if not self-defense?"

Well maybe he wanted to impress his girlfriend and friends by beating down a "white ass cracker".

Martin took the law into his own hands instead of calling 911.

Martin had plenty of opportunity to disappear and go to where he was staying but chose not to. He was only 70 yards from the place. Instead he knowingly and willingly decided to confront Zimmerman.

And again, if Zimmerman started the assault, where are the other injuries on Martin?

And why did Zimmerman wait so long to pull out his gun?
Profile Pic
maddog57
Champion Author Winston-Salem

Posts:153,852
Points:3,272,765
Joined:Oct 2005
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 4:31:45 PM

>> When you remove the tentacles of political pandering created to perpetuate racial imbalance in this country, this case becomes very simple to adjudicate through our legal system, which is exactly what occurred. <<

The case never should have been tried...the only reason it went to court was because of pressure from people who chose not to understand the facts and blew everything out of proportion. Then the great divider got involved with his dumb comments and made things worse.
Profile Pic
maddog57
Champion Author Winston-Salem

Posts:153,852
Points:3,272,765
Joined:Oct 2005
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 4:30:16 PM

> The only person in this whole Zimmerman/Martin case that could even remotely utilize a "stand your ground" defense would be Martin, if it could be proven that the neighborhood was solely Martin's "turf" and that Zimmerman had improperly entered it, and threatened Martin's safety with verbal threats and bodily assault. <<

Martin was the visitor...Zimmerman was the neighborhood watch captain. Plus you can't claim stand your ground when you doubled back and attacked someone.

Stand Your Ground is in effect IF it is proven that "[an individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses deadly force may use deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat IF (and this is the big IF here) the individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent" the imminent death, great bodily harm, or sexual assault of himself or another individual.

Martin had no proof that Zimmerman was a threat to him and Martin was the one made the effort to escalate the incident by assaulting Zimmerman.

However Judge Nelson for some reason in her closing to the jury stated that Zimmerman had to duty to retreat (not that he could since he was laying on the ground) per Florida's law.
Profile Pic
mudtoe
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:13,837
Points:1,876,865
Joined:May 2008
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 4:30:00 PM

EZ: "When you remove the tentacles of political pandering created to perpetuate racial imbalance in this country, this case becomes very simple to adjudicate through our legal system, which is exactly what occurred. "


I'm just happy that the jury saw through that quickly, not as happy a Zimmerman no doubt, but happy nonetheless. Every once in a while a random act of adhering to the Constitution occurs in a courtroom. However, it's now rare enough that you can see how bent out of shape the left gets when it does happen.

mudtoe
Profile Pic
EZExit
Champion Author Phoenix

Posts:16,033
Points:2,314,485
Joined:Aug 2008
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 4:08:35 PM

The only person in this whole Zimmerman/Martin case that could even remotely utilize a "stand your ground" defense would be Martin, if it could be proven that the neighborhood was solely Martin's "turf" and that Zimmerman had improperly entered it, and threatened Martin's safety with verbal threats and bodily assault.

Now, is there ANY evidence that Zimmerman verbally threatened Martin, or assaulted him? The only evidence I saw was the other way around. This fact could very well be the reason that Zimmerman was found "not guilty" by a jury of his peers. Furthermore, if Martin was still alive today, I could see quite easily a charge of assault and battery against Martin sticking quite well.

When you remove the tentacles of political pandering created to perpetuate racial imbalance in this country, this case becomes very simple to adjudicate through our legal system, which is exactly what occurred.
Profile Pic
AFSNCO
Champion Author Montgomery

Posts:19,838
Points:1,832,435
Joined:Aug 2008
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 4:07:35 PM

"Is that illegal? Do you find people suspicious for not running home after completing an errand?"

Considering that it took so long and he had THC in his blood it is probably a pretty good guess that he stopped somewhere along the line to blaze one.
Profile Pic
mudtoe
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:13,837
Points:1,876,865
Joined:May 2008
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 4:07:05 PM

md: "....thus committing what is called the "Fatal Factor". "



aka a Darwinian mistake.

"Man assaults another man, gets shot for his trouble, film at 11."

That's as much news coverage as this whole thing would have received if it weren't for the left and their agenda.


mudtoe
Profile Pic
maddog57
Champion Author Winston-Salem

Posts:153,852
Points:3,272,765
Joined:Oct 2005
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 4:01:50 PM

True....there were lot's of mistakes made. First Zimmerman should have stayed in his vehicle. However a short time before this incident Zimmerman reported some suspicious activity to the police via 911...he was told to wait in his vehicle...which he did. By the time police officers arrived the "actors" had fled the scene and police found that the house has been broken into. The police did catch the people and Zimmerman provided the positive ID on them. This a bit explains why when Zimmerman lost track of Martin that he got out of the vehicle. Zimmerman never tried to contact Martin but only was looking for his location (from his statement). Once Zimmerman discovered he could find find Trayvon he went back to his vehicle, except he never made it as he was assaulted by Trayvon who had doubled back and gotten behind Zimmerman (again provable from forensic evidence found at the scene where the ground was soft)..and attacked Zimmerman....thus committing what is called the "Fatal Factor".

The police investigated...found Zimmerman's story credible with the evidence and the witnesses who saw the attack after it started. Now maybe it's different in Florida but where I used to work police DO NOT file charges...District Attorney's/County Attorney's..etc they are the ones who file the actual charges not the police. Once no charges were filed then Al/Jessie and the rest of the dividers got involved and started demonizing George Zimmerman and trying to give sainthood to Trayvon. Once that started then people stated telling the truth about Trayvon...push/push, shove/shove....the whole PR thing went downhill after that.



Profile Pic
Weaslespit
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:16,500
Points:545,205
Joined:Sep 2008
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 3:51:01 PM

"Oh, you mean like calling people tea baggers? I sort of recall a certain poster doing that....."

I learned from my mistakes. Also, do 2 wrongs make a right? Certinaly not in the case of Zimmerman and Martin...

Again - please post on-topic and refrain from attacking the poster.

Thanks.

[Edited by: Weaslespit at 7/25/2013 3:52:28 PM EST]
Profile Pic
mudtoe
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:13,837
Points:1,876,865
Joined:May 2008
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 3:37:28 PM

WS: "Feel free to attack what is posted, but again, please refrain from attacking the poster. "


Oh, you mean like calling people tea baggers? I sort of recall a certain poster doing that.....


mudtoe
Profile Pic
Weaslespit
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:16,500
Points:545,205
Joined:Sep 2008
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 3:26:15 PM

"The only person who did ANYTHING illegal that day was when Martin assaulted Zimmerman."

Again, if we had heard Martin's POV I am not so sure that this point is so black-and-white...

"NO...because Martin purposely went after Zimmerman...that's not stand your ground, that's assault. If Zimmerman had come after Martin, gotten close (which he never did) then Martin could have legally stood his ground, but not the way it happened."

I disagree. Martin was not out there looking to go after somebody (at least, there is no evidence pointing towards this as a motive). What, then, was Martin's motive if not self-defense?

"They never wanted to file charges in the first place..it was only with pressure from the justice department that they even filed in the first place."

When this was going to trial the Prosecutor's Office didn't have to go for Murder-2. That is my point.

[Edited by: Weaslespit at 7/25/2013 3:29:43 PM EST]
Profile Pic
Weaslespit
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:16,500
Points:545,205
Joined:Sep 2008
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 3:23:57 PM

"See what I mean af? ROFLMAO!! And we wonder why the country is in the shape it's in.... Maybe there was something to what my grandmother used to say about all those nuclear tests doing bad things."

Feel free to attack what is posted, but again, please refrain from attacking the poster.
Profile Pic
Weaslespit
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:16,500
Points:545,205
Joined:Sep 2008
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 3:22:24 PM

"And that is another reason why I changed from anti-Zimmerman to supporting him."

While I didn't go as far to change my opinion as to support him, I didn't think he was nearly as culpable as we were first lead to believe.

"I have never known someone that had bad intentions to call 911 first. That just doesn't pass the logic test in any way...."

Agreed. Unfortunately Martin did not know this.
Profile Pic
flyboyUT
Champion Author Utah

Posts:28,187
Points:1,524,920
Joined:Aug 2008
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 3:18:10 PM

Will the parents do the right thing and turn in the kids or not?
.
>>>"It was crazy. Beyond our control," says the manager of the King Convenience store in the 1500 block of U Street in Southeast D.C.

He says a flash mob of teens stole candy, soda and other items from his store Saturday night.

"Bunch of kids, more than 20 or 30, grabbed everything," he says, asking not to be identified. "They grabbed everything and then ran away from the store."<<<
Profile Pic
maddog57
Champion Author Winston-Salem

Posts:153,852
Points:3,272,765
Joined:Oct 2005
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 3:08:34 PM

>> Wasn't it originally mentioned by the police during the initial investigation? <<

Police mention lots of things during investigations.

>> Is that illegal? Do you find people suspicious for not running home after completing an errand? <<

No but aimlessly walking around looking like you are observing houses where there have been several breakins recently isn't illegal but it is suspicious which is why he came to Zimmerman's attention in the first place.

The only person who did ANYTHING illegal that day was when Martin assaulted Zimmerman.

>So Martin shoudl have waited for Zimmerman to get close so that he would be in more perceived danger? That isn't what SYG stands for either... Just because he got the drop on Zimmerman doens't mean he wouldn't have been able to employ the SYG defense. For the reasons I have alreayd outlined. <<

NO...because Martin purposely went after Zimmerman...that's not stand your ground, that's assault. If Zimmerman had come after Martin, gotten close (which he never did) then Martin could have legally stood his ground, but not the way it happened.

>> It was not Zimmerman's purpose so kill Martin which is why I disagreed with the Prosecution making 2nd Degree Murder their main charge. <<

They never wanted to file charges in the first place..it was only with pressure from the justice department that they even filed in the first place.
Profile Pic
mudtoe
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:13,837
Points:1,876,865
Joined:May 2008
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 2:56:36 PM

"And if he felt threatened, his actions are precisely what the SYG statute is designed to protect..."



See what I mean af? ROFLMAO!! And we wonder why the country is in the shape it's in.... Maybe there was something to what my grandmother used to say about all those nuclear tests doing bad things.


mudtoe
Profile Pic
Weaslespit
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:16,500
Points:545,205
Joined:Sep 2008
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 2:56:28 PM

"Nope....the defense made that perfectly clear up front...this was self-defense pure and simple. I am not sure who brought up Stand Your Ground but it was never mentioned by the defense in the trial. It was brought up by either the judge or the prosecution."

Wasn't it originally mentioned by the police during the initial investigation?

"If you read the timeline of things you will see that it took Martin 40 minutes to do what was a 10 minute walk."

Is that illegal? Do you find people suspicious for not running home after completing an errand?

"What you appear to be missing is that "Stand Your Ground" means just that..you are Standing Your Ground...Stand Your Ground is NOT go out of your way to purposely attack someone....that's called Assault and Battery. Which was the ONLY crime committed that day in this incident."

So Martin shoudl have waited for Zimmerman to get close so that he would be in more perceived danger? That isn't what SYG stands for either... Just because he got the drop on Zimmerman doens't mean he wouldn't have been able to employ the SYG defense. For the reasons I have alreayd outlined.

Again, I don't think either wanted the end result. It was a tragic ending to a series of bad decisions and assumptions. It was not Zimmerman's purpose so kill Martin which is why I disagreed with the Prosecution making 2nd Degree Murder their main charge.

I'm not sure why this tangent is the main discussion, however, as I had only referred to the contradiction made by nstrdnstvr in my initial post that started this re-hashing of the entire event.
Profile Pic
Weaslespit
Champion Author Cincinnati

Posts:16,500
Points:545,205
Joined:Sep 2008
Message Posted: Jul 25, 2013 2:48:00 PM

"Not true because obviously Martin didn't have a gun with him. Do all "gangstas" always carry a gun?"

So let me know when to apply and when not to apply the stereotype Martin is being labeled with...

"If Trayvon felt "threatened", he should have first called 911 instead of his girlfriend. If he felt "threatened" he wouldn't have come back to assault Zimmerman."

And if he felt threatened, his actions are precisely what the SYG statute is designed to protect...

"So Zimmerman "was following Martin for no reason"? Where did you get THAT from?"

Sorry, I didn't see what crime Martin was committing that caused him to become a 'person of interest'.

"If he was following him for no reason, why did Zimmerman call 911 and report Martin doing what he was doing and tell them that he was watching him? Do stalkers usually call 911 when they are stalking people?"

He was following Martin because he profiled him. Not because he was doing anything wrong.

"The fight occurred only 70 yards from where Trayvon was staying. He would have to run backwards to get there in 4 minutes!"

OK, 15 seconds... That changes my point how?

"In addition, Stand Your Ground was never used as the defense in this case, was it?"

Where did I say it was used during the Zimmerman trial? I simply said you don't have to be punched in the face to employ SYG.

"Also, no one has a right to assault someone just because they are being followed. Are you implying that Stand Your Ground states that they do?"

That is not at all what I said. Why do you try to read into things where there is nothing to read into?
Post a reply Back to Topics