Not Logged In Log In   Sign Up   Points Leaders
Follow Us    1:55 PM

Message Forum - Read Message

Category: Suggest a GasBuddy improvement > Topics Add to favorite topics   Post new topicPost New Topic
Author Topic: Prize Give-away drawings. Back to Topics
maxstar

Champion Author
Chicago

Posts:20,838
Points:1,147,420
Joined:Feb 2011
Message Posted: Apr 4, 2012 8:14:34 PM

Rather than "purchase" tickets, I think tickets instead should be awarded to members based on the current week participation. Perhaps for every 1000 points the member is awarded 1 entry into that weeks drawing.
REPLIES (newest first) Topic is locked
Profile Pic
maxstar
Champion Author Chicago

Posts:20,838
Points:1,147,420
Joined:Feb 2011
Message Posted: Nov 14, 2012 6:21:14 PM

This discussion seems to have run its course and is now moving into other territory. The moderators can close this topic if they wish.
Profile Pic
GM
Moderator
Message Posted: Nov 14, 2012 2:02:06 PM

>PDQBlues

"Yes, I do believe what you have written is true, that the drawings are done with random. But that point was never in question. My point was that the drawings are not done fairly and unbiased."

As numerous members pointed out you contradicted yourself here. You later explained that this was because your banned.

"My point is if accounts are being banned without reason and without notification, there is by the way this drawing is done a very real bias."

Yes if members were banned without reason then it would be biased, but that is just simply not true. Members who are banned are only banned WITH reason. Such as posting for points in the wrong categories, swearing, racism, false prices and etc. As Don stated banned members aren't eligible for the contest.




- Ryan (RD)
Profile Pic
Don
Moderator
Message Posted: Nov 14, 2012 1:54:51 PM

Banned members are not eligible for the contest draws.

The site owners decided some time ago that the best way to keep abusive members from harassing the site was to make them invisible to everyone else.

They can still earn points by posting prices or posting in the forums, but you won't see this.

The GasBuddy network of websites and apps include users from locations from all over Canada and The United States of America. The winners are chosen at random from all of these sites for each draw.

-Don
Profile Pic
ToriTX
Sophomore Author Texas

Posts:163
Points:32,195
Joined:Nov 2012
Message Posted: Nov 14, 2012 1:27:59 PM

i havent won either
Profile Pic
Karisholman
Veteran Author Nevada

Posts:452
Points:392,230
Joined:Oct 2012
Message Posted: Nov 5, 2012 8:59:50 PM

What are our chances? There is one drawing for how many ticket entries/week on average?
Profile Pic
scoutmaster
Champion Author Pittsburgh

Posts:91,261
Points:3,591,370
Joined:Mar 2003
Message Posted: Nov 5, 2012 8:01:29 AM

Agree Byte Doc.

Hey I haven't won yet!
Profile Pic
kwzh
Champion Author San Jose

Posts:22,329
Points:4,014,630
Joined:Jul 2001
Message Posted: Nov 5, 2012 12:09:21 AM

Mathematically, "random" isn't specific enough, but in common usage, it's generally understood to mean a uniform distribution on the set in question, and independent of any other random variable that might have previously been mentioned.

PDQ, you could have saved us some time if your original accusation had said that you were talking about whether banned members can win.

Btw, we did once have someone claim that the drawing must be fixed, solely on the evidence that he hadn't won. I think he was serious.
Profile Pic
Byte_Doctor
Champion Author Akron

Posts:5,314
Points:1,055,315
Joined:Apr 2011
Message Posted: Nov 4, 2012 10:42:22 PM

scoutmaster, random is not equivalent to unbiased. I could set up a random drawing that excluded people whose usernames started with the letter "S". Drawing is still random, but biased. Similarly, I could set up a drawing that awarded the winner alphabetically by username starting the first week with user "a", second week user "aa" (assuming users "a" and "aa" were the first two users alphabetically) and continue to work through the list of users one at a time each week. Unbiased, but not random.

That said, PDQBlues' assertion of bias is as of yet unfounded. We do not in fact know whether or not tickets earned by banned users are eligible for the drawing or not. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that banned users are ineligible, but honestly that bias wouldn't bother me. I've never known GB to be arbitrary in their banning of a user so if you've done something worthy of being banned, losing your shot at any drawings held while you are banned would go with the territory in my opinion.
Profile Pic
Gas_Buddy
Champion Author Maryland

Posts:28,548
Points:3,371,100
Joined:Aug 2004
Message Posted: Nov 4, 2012 4:10:41 PM

"I buy x tickets for the drawing. During the week, my account is banned (in fact, this happened twice this year).... During that time, I continue to buy x number of tickets. So, what are my chances of winning? Zero percent. As such, the drawing is random, but my chances are diminished compared to the other members.
"Is that clear enough?
"My point is if accounts are being banned without reason and without notification, there is by the way this drawing is done a very real bias."

I'm not sure that there is a bias for several reasons.
First, I'm not sure that when you're banned that you can't still earn points from price posting, etc. (and that you lose only your message posting privileges).
And, second, I'm not sure that, unless you're totally stopped from all participation, that you cannot win the prize drawing. That you haven't (yet) won doesn't mean that you didn't have the same chance of your ticket(s) being drawn.

I think you may be presumptuous about not being able to "win" the drawing.
Profile Pic
scoutmaster
Champion Author Pittsburgh

Posts:91,261
Points:3,591,370
Joined:Mar 2003
Message Posted: Nov 4, 2012 3:38:44 PM

I have a question PDQ - If you believe they are 100% random then how can you state "the drawings are not done fairly and unbiased"? It seems you are talking out of both sides of your mouth?
Profile Pic
PDQBlues
Champion Author San Diego

Posts:8,740
Points:1,782,050
Joined:Jan 2009
Message Posted: Nov 3, 2012 11:28:55 PM

Thank you, Gas_Buddy, for your response.

My apologies for assuming that we could have a mature discussion without back-handed humor. I now stand corrected.

We could have a lengthy discussions on the differences between "random" and "unbiased" both in mathematics and science. Sufficient to say they are not one and the same. Let's make it simple with a real case.

I buy x tickets for the drawing. During the week, my account is banned (in fact, this happened twice this year). I am neither notified of the reasons or even the fact of this ban. And I am unaware that the ban has happened other then I can no longer post messages to other members for which I assume is a programming glitch (but since I cannot get a message through, I can get no reply). During that time, I continue to buy x number of tickets. So, what are my chances of winning? Zero percent. As such, the drawing is random, but my chances are diminished compared to the other members.

Is that clear enough?

My point is if accounts are being banned without reason and without notification, there is by the way this drawing is done a very real bias.

Not that I expect complete fairness from this site. The articles that are allowed to be posted generally show a strong bias. But that is the right of the moderator and owner. But when even the messages that I post to other members (which are supposed to be private) get deleted, then I feel the bias has grown too large.
Profile Pic
Gas_Buddy
Champion Author Maryland

Posts:28,548
Points:3,371,100
Joined:Aug 2004
Message Posted: Nov 3, 2012 1:05:00 PM

First, and I'm apparently in the minority, I took kwzh's comment not to be snide but to be a valid, though not knee-slapping funny, comment and said with back-handed humor. Apparently others didn't see it that way.

Second, PDQBlues wrote:"
"Yes, I do believe what you have written is true, that the drawings are done with random. But that point was never in question. My point was that the drawings are not done fairly and unbiased."

Forgive me for being naive but the first and third sentences seem somewhat in contradiction; if the drawing is in fact random (which you don't question), it's hard to see how the drawing is not being done fairly (let alone being conducted in a biased manner). Unless, something that you haven't said in so many words, those conducting the drawing are not accepting the entries of certain persons (such as, perhaps, you and me), or they're conducting the drawing and deciding to not accept the ticket selected (and drawing tickets until they do like who the winner is), or they're (those conducting the drawing) are entering additional tickets for certain members in order to skew the chances toward those members they're providing additional tickets for.

So let me ask it blatantly:
Do you think the drawings "are done with random" or do you think the drawings "are not done with random"?

And, regardless of the answer to the above question, other than you and I haven't won the drawing, what specifically makes you think that "...one ticket from, say me, has had a lower chance then one ticket from another."
Profile Pic
kwzh
Champion Author San Jose

Posts:22,329
Points:4,014,630
Joined:Jul 2001
Message Posted: Nov 3, 2012 4:28:01 AM

I'll retract my snide remark, which was intended as humor rather than a paraphrase of the actual claim. Now, returning to the issue...

PDQBlues writes,
> That is, one ticket from, say me, has had a lower chance then one ticket from another.

What makes you think that? I'm fairly confident that each of N tickets has probability 1/N of being selected, regardless of its owner.
Profile Pic
bytebug
Champion Author Orange County

Posts:28,225
Points:4,459,990
Joined:Oct 2001
Message Posted: Nov 3, 2012 1:49:45 AM

TxJeans — don't feed the trolls.
Profile Pic
TxJeans
Champion Author Tampa

Posts:6,137
Points:636,215
Joined:May 2004
Message Posted: Nov 2, 2012 11:54:00 PM

PDQ said "Yes, I do believe what you have written is true, that the drawings are done with random. But that point was never in question. My point was that the drawings are not done fairly and unbiased. That is, one ticket from, say me, has had a lower chance then one ticket from another. Not that I would ever have a chance of winning anyway, but I would have hoped that the drawing was done fairly."

Please explain. First you say the drawings are done randomly, they you say that they are not done fairly and unbiased. You indicate then that a ticket from one person has a lower chance than a ticket from another?

Each person here can accumulate points based on the same formula. Each person has the option of banking or using their points for tickets for any particular week. X number of tickets are "purchased" with points by the membership and there is a random drawing.

Could you please clarify what you think is unfair about the drawing?
Profile Pic
PDQBlues
Champion Author San Diego

Posts:8,740
Points:1,782,050
Joined:Jan 2009
Message Posted: Nov 2, 2012 11:39:55 PM

Thank you, GM, for your response (I'll ignore the snide remarks from a few others). I understand I'm treading on thin ice, considering the frequency and arbitrary banning of accounts I know I have personally experienced.

>I can assure you that our drawings are 100% random. Winners are selected by a randomized program and moderators are advised of the winner.

Yes, I do believe what you have written is true, that the drawings are done with random. But that point was never in question. My point was that the drawings are not done fairly and unbiased. That is, one ticket from, say me, has had a lower chance then one ticket from another. Not that I would ever have a chance of winning anyway, but I would have hoped that the drawing was done fairly.

Again, thank you for your response.
Profile Pic
kwzh
Champion Author San Jose

Posts:22,329
Points:4,014,630
Joined:Jul 2001
Message Posted: Nov 1, 2012 4:22:27 PM

"But, I buy a ticket each week, and I still haven't won! So it must be rigged!!!"

Sheesh.
Profile Pic
GM
Moderator
Message Posted: Nov 1, 2012 4:12:53 PM

>PDQBlues

I can assure you that our drawings are 100% random. Winners are selected by a randomized program and moderators are advised of the winner. Yes we contact the member who won, but have no have no hand in selecting the winner.


- Ryan (RD)
Profile Pic
CelticHeart
Champion Author Detroit

Posts:141,066
Points:3,503,300
Joined:Aug 2004
Message Posted: Nov 1, 2012 2:54:10 PM

PDQ, what????????

Where did you dig up that information?

Jeez.
Profile Pic
TxJeans
Champion Author Tampa

Posts:6,137
Points:636,215
Joined:May 2004
Message Posted: Oct 31, 2012 10:28:50 PM

@ PDQBlues

<<<It would be helpful if in fact the drawings for these prizes were done fairly and not biased for the moderator's favorites members. Just saying.>>>>

Huh? What makes you think that? It seems to be a rather diverse group of winners.
Profile Pic
maxstar
Champion Author Chicago

Posts:20,838
Points:1,147,420
Joined:Feb 2011
Message Posted: Oct 31, 2012 8:12:19 PM

What do you mean PDQBlues?
Profile Pic
PDQBlues
Champion Author San Diego

Posts:8,740
Points:1,782,050
Joined:Jan 2009
Message Posted: Oct 31, 2012 7:01:39 PM

It would be helpful if in fact the drawings for these prizes were done fairly and not biased for the moderator's favorites members. Just saying.

[Edited by: PDQBlues at 10/31/2012 7:03:14 PM EST]
Profile Pic
sushiCA
Rookie Author Los Angeles

Posts:12
Points:3,415
Joined:Oct 2012
Message Posted: Oct 11, 2012 5:26:40 PM

we should have more prizes like split the 250 into 2 125 gift cards so there's more winners
Profile Pic
RichWLIN
Champion Author Indiana

Posts:6,230
Points:976,355
Joined:Jun 2011
Message Posted: Oct 8, 2012 10:12:57 PM

What programming hours?
Profile Pic
TxJeans
Champion Author Tampa

Posts:6,137
Points:636,215
Joined:May 2004
Message Posted: Oct 8, 2012 4:49:55 PM

To me, the bigger point is where do we want them to spend programming resources. And, to me, this is a no brainer - there are PLENTY of better uses for programming hours.
Profile Pic
jaccks
Champion Author Kansas

Posts:1,810
Points:2,181,070
Joined:Oct 2005
Message Posted: Oct 8, 2012 1:12:35 PM

i enter with 7 tickets every week. Never win but no harm in doing it.
Profile Pic
scoutmaster
Champion Author Pittsburgh

Posts:91,261
Points:3,591,370
Joined:Mar 2003
Message Posted: Oct 8, 2012 10:46:34 AM

As I have said many times, if you are here for the points or the weekly drawing, you are here for the wrong reason.
Profile Pic
deporresd
Sophomore Author Illinois

Posts:183
Points:157,770
Joined:May 2008
Message Posted: Oct 8, 2012 10:14:51 AM

I think it works fine as it is. And I am not sure, but my guess is that those who in fact receive the maximum points each day also are more likely to enter the drawing, so I wonder if it would make a difference from an odds perspective.
Profile Pic
TxJeans
Champion Author Tampa

Posts:6,137
Points:636,215
Joined:May 2004
Message Posted: Oct 8, 2012 10:07:25 AM

There are those that don't even enter -- why dilute the pool for those that have been entering by those that don't bother? Are you too lazy to enter your request for a ticket? It is not that hard since it pops up in your face (at least on the website) when you have enough to buy a ticket.

I think programming efforts could be better used in MANY other areas. The drawing is just fine as it exists.
Profile Pic
73amx
Champion Author Allentown

Posts:2,836
Points:795,770
Joined:Sep 2011
Message Posted: Oct 7, 2012 12:34:11 PM

maxstar,
but aren't we already limited by how many points we earn each day?
and so are limited by how many tickets we can purchase.
Profile Pic
kwzh
Champion Author San Jose

Posts:22,329
Points:4,014,630
Joined:Jul 2001
Message Posted: Oct 1, 2012 12:40:26 AM

I'm not even sure I can parse that. If you're saying that without the point system, nobody would use the site at all, then I disagree. If you're saying that fewer people would, then I agree.
Profile Pic
scoutmaster
Champion Author Pittsburgh

Posts:91,261
Points:3,591,370
Joined:Mar 2003
Message Posted: Sep 30, 2012 1:10:35 PM

No one is making you post for anything. Totally disagree.
Profile Pic
riverrising
Champion Author Missouri

Posts:4,059
Points:1,281,105
Joined:May 2008
Message Posted: Sep 30, 2012 10:30:39 AM

they make us post for points.other wise,us others wouldn't be here,who would second that?
Profile Pic
scoutmaster
Champion Author Pittsburgh

Posts:91,261
Points:3,591,370
Joined:Mar 2003
Message Posted: Sep 17, 2012 6:37:10 AM

"The moderators said that he was actually overloading the server by continuously auto-posting messages."

Well in that case I can see the point.
Profile Pic
kwzh
Champion Author San Jose

Posts:22,329
Points:4,014,630
Joined:Jul 2001
Message Posted: Sep 17, 2012 1:35:27 AM

scoutmaster writes,
> Why would the moderators stop someone from posting?

The moderators said that he was actually overloading the server by continuously auto-posting messages.
Profile Pic
Gas_Buddy
Champion Author Maryland

Posts:28,548
Points:3,371,100
Joined:Aug 2004
Message Posted: Sep 16, 2012 4:11:14 PM

scoutmaster:

" "there have been members who cranked up their post count to absurd levels, before the moderators told them to stop it."
Why would the moderators stop someone from posting, providing the poster was not violating any of the site rules? And what is considered absurd?"

While I agree that most absurd levels of posting is irrelevant, as it's generally in the "fluff" discussion categories, there are members that do, in fact, post at what most people would consider "absurd levels". For example, one Maryland member automated his message posting so that he didn't have to actually "waste his time posting" but could continue his "high number of messages posted". His automation enabled him to post five times in a number or widgit or one-word topic, and then roll-over to another topic (so it looked liked he took part in topics daily), posting 2,000 posts a day. That, to me, is an absurd number, yet he's not the member with the highest number of daily or total posts I've seen.
Profile Pic
scoutmaster
Champion Author Pittsburgh

Posts:91,261
Points:3,591,370
Joined:Mar 2003
Message Posted: Sep 16, 2012 2:48:27 PM

"there have been members who cranked up their post count to absurd levels, before the moderators told them to stop it."

Why would the moderators stop someone from posting, providing the poster was not violating any of the site rules? And what is considered absurd?
Profile Pic
TxJeans
Champion Author Tampa

Posts:6,137
Points:636,215
Joined:May 2004
Message Posted: Sep 16, 2012 9:47:59 AM

kwzh said " Even though it only takes five forum posts to max out your points, there have been members who cranked up their post count to absurd levels, before the moderators told them to stop it. And of course we all know that many app users have been doing bogus stuff not for points, but for the even less meaningful app awards. "

So, maybe stop tracking all of that information publicly. Have the drawing with one draw per member that was active that week with gas price posting (no need to publicly show the activity)....maybe only the consecutive days.

Profile Pic
kwzh
Champion Author San Jose

Posts:22,329
Points:4,014,630
Joined:Jul 2001
Message Posted: Sep 16, 2012 6:36:31 AM

bytebug writes,
> Points are the reason for all the bogus things that people do in order to get another ticket

Trivially true, since points are how you get tickets -- but let's note that many people also do bogus actions without ticket-points being involved. Even though it only takes five forum posts to max out your points, there have been members who cranked up their post count to absurd levels, before the moderators told them to stop it. And of course we all know that many app users have been doing bogus stuff not for points, but for the even less meaningful app awards.
Profile Pic
bytebug
Champion Author Orange County

Posts:28,225
Points:4,459,990
Joined:Oct 2001
Message Posted: Sep 15, 2012 10:33:29 PM

>> I would like to suggest a slightly different point system…

The current point system has remained unchanged since the start. I think it's unreasonable to think that there's any reason to change it now.

>> Of course the same people that type "OK" in comments…

That is an argument to do away with the point system completely. Points are the reason for all the bogus things that people do in order to get another ticket in a prize drawing they are unlikely to win. In order to improve the site, I've long believed that the weekly prize drawing should be done away with, and while a drop in the bucket, the monies spent on prizes should be put towards improvement of the site.
Profile Pic
Jayburt
Champion Author Toledo

Posts:1,032
Points:226,685
Joined:Jun 2009
Message Posted: Sep 15, 2012 11:40:18 AM

I agree Maxstar, would help when your short on time yet want to add station prices
Profile Pic
treehood
Champion Author San Diego

Posts:3,758
Points:733,635
Joined:May 2011
Message Posted: Aug 22, 2012 12:38:57 PM

I have been thinking it over for a while and I would like to suggest a slightly different point system. Offer 50 points per news story clicked on and continue the 150 points per gas price reported, allowing for 1,000 points per day for an active member and 7 tickets per week. Of course the same people that type "OK" in comments will now just click the same story 5 times but I think they do that already but at least there will be many less meaningless comments. Quality vs. quantity. I believe real posters would agree with this. I would also increase the weekly poll to 250 points so every month participation would be worth 1 ticket. The points awarded are not a consideration as only one gas card is given a week no matter how many entries. Finally, would it be possible to add a "LIKE" counter to postings so the better ones could rise or be read by those members interested in meaningful posts? If a post got 20 or more LIKES then additional points could be given to the poster up to a maximum amount.
Profile Pic
terfar77
Champion Author Buffalo

Posts:2,951
Points:974,620
Joined:Nov 2008
Message Posted: Aug 20, 2012 7:35:27 AM

why change it?
Profile Pic
scoutmaster
Champion Author Pittsburgh

Posts:91,261
Points:3,591,370
Joined:Mar 2003
Message Posted: Aug 19, 2012 7:52:47 PM

Then why are you posting anything Rote?
Profile Pic
Roteque
Champion Author Miami

Posts:639,542
Points:1,346,165
Joined:Feb 2009
Message Posted: Aug 19, 2012 5:15:43 PM

Posting suggestions here IS a waste of time !!!!!
Profile Pic
TxJeans
Champion Author Tampa

Posts:6,137
Points:636,215
Joined:May 2004
Message Posted: Jul 18, 2012 10:55:59 PM

If you want to call not driving around way out of my way wasting gas and my time for no reason but to get points lazy-- I guess in your eyes I am lazy - so be it.

The point remains that there are a lot more things that we have been begging for programming hours for, and that are in better agreement, so why waste programming on this change?,
Profile Pic
bytebug
Champion Author Orange County

Posts:28,225
Points:4,459,990
Joined:Oct 2001
Message Posted: Jul 18, 2012 7:51:03 PM

>> sorry they only post one price, which is common around me. And, I can't
>> always see the price on the way in if there are big semi's where I merge.

So your excuse for not winning the prize is laziness. Works for me.
Profile Pic
RichWLIN
Champion Author Indiana

Posts:6,230
Points:976,355
Joined:Jun 2011
Message Posted: Jul 18, 2012 2:26:32 PM

In this case you win the $250 gas card.
Profile Pic
CampKohler
Champion Author Sacramento

Posts:11,548
Points:1,845,290
Joined:May 2007
Message Posted: Jul 18, 2012 1:58:59 PM

So if you're struck and killed by lightning when you are one year old, how does that work?
Profile Pic
RichWLIN
Champion Author Indiana

Posts:6,230
Points:976,355
Joined:Jun 2011
Message Posted: Jul 18, 2012 1:37:52 PM

I errantly said "...the odds of being struck by lightning in a given year are 1/1M and 1/10K in a single year."

Meant to say: and 1/10K in a lifetime.

Anyway 1 in a million is the single year stat.
Topic is locked Back to Topics